Located in the Belsize Park area of north-west London, this 4 level family residence was designed for a musician and his designer wife. Through the use of the existing structure and careful planning of the living zones, new generation architectural practice Andy Martin Architects (AMA) transformed the former mechanics garage into a stunning family home named Mews 02 Residence. Both the interior and exterior were designed to display a playful light/dark architectural language, creating a powerful contrast that insinuates the need for elegant, modern spaces.
This is how AMA describe the project: “On first impression, as one passes through the entry gates, the sunken courtyard resembles a slate quarry with its charcoal blocks running externally and reaching internally to the rear of the residence. Immediately is possible to feel the playful use of dark and light, of black and white. The seamless flooring is flowing horizontally through each level and the contrasting charcoal construction blocks are rising vertically. This spine wall creates the circulation hub and AMA set out to isolate each floor using this device“.
- Spectacular Modern Features Displayed by Nicholson Residence in Australia
- Leblanc Cox Residence Inspired By A Hitchcock’s Thriller
- House On The Lake With Modern Architecture: Inlet Residence by MW Works
- 2 in 1 – Two Modern Villas Hidden by a Single Facade – MIKI 1 House
- Family-Friendly Volumetric House in Kortrijk by Devolder Architects